Who is iLASIK recommended for?
- People over 18 wearing contact lenses or glasses;
- People not suffering from any other eye condition (keratoconus, glaucoma, etc.);
- People not suffering from systemic diseases, such as diabetes or rheumatism.
What is the iLASIK method?
iLASIK (blade-free laser) is today’s most innovative laser excimer technology and it is a combination of two lasers (femtosecond laser, performing the flap, and excimer laser, used to perform the customised treatment - customised ablation, depending on the information obtained through the Wave Scan - Wave Front System).
The technology used in the iLASIK method is very safe. NASA and the American Armed Forces approved the iLASIK treatment on their astronauts and pilots.
Thinking about a laser therapy?
The iLASIK method is the most appropriate one for You.
The right time for having the iLASIK treatment
There is absolutely no reason why you should not choose iLASIK to make your glasses a thing of the past! You should know that, for improving your eyesight, iLASIK is a reliable method you can trust!
Bladeless laser: what does iLASIK stand for?
The INTRALASE laser (femtosecond laser) performs a flap in the tissue on the surface of the cornea, with a thickness ranging from 90 to 160 microns.
The VISX STAR IR S4 excimer laser performs the ablation of the corneal stromal tissue, after the temporary lifting of the created flap.
In order to be able to apply the Laser Excimer method, a series of investigations needs to be done, such as: WaveFront, Topography and Q-value, thus making sure of the success of this intervention.
In order to avoid any complications occurring following the surgery and to benefit from a high-quality vision, it is essential that the flap be very carefully prepared.
Step one: assessing the vision quality
The iLASIK method uses the WaveScan customised treatment, which is performed through some tests whose purpose is that of highlighting the refractive errors imperfections in your eye.
The WaveScan system creates a unique 3D map of the ocular surface imperfections through the WAVEFRONT aberometric investigation. The data obtained following these investigations will be entered in the memory of the VISX STAR IR S4 excimer laser computer, which leads to the performance of a customised treatment for every patient, according to the refraction error - customised ablation (Advanced CustomVue).
Step two: creating the flap with the laser
By using the INTRALASE femtosecond laser, the corneal flap is made blade-freely.
Particularities of the INTRALASE method: very precise determination of the thickness, diameter and position of the flap, by using a high-performance computerised system, perfecta joining of the flap with the severed edges and short-term post-surgery recovery.
The INTRALASE femtosecond laser focuses 15,000 laser pulses per second, in order to create a 2 to 3-micron continuous laser beam.
A study shows that the level of comfort experienced by the patients operated with the Laser Excimer method, that the corneal flap was made on one eye by using the microkeratome, and on the other eye by using the INTRALASE method, was three times higher in the eye operated on using the INTRALASE method.
Step three: customised treatment with the Laser Excimer
After the visual profile is prepared by using the WAVESCAN technology, the imperfections on the corneal surface can be corrected by using the iLASIK method.
The ablation of the corneal stroma is performed with the VISX STAR IR S4 excimer laser, directed by the data entered in the computer following the WAVEFRONT aberometric investigation, also known as customised ablation. The correction is precise and tailor-made.
It is important that, in the laser treatment, the surgery be performed precisely on the affected ocular surface. In order to increase the precision level and align the laser with the movements of the eyeball, the Active track and Iris registration technology is used. The laser device identified the iris, thus determining even the slightest movement of the eye.
Advantages of the iLASIK method
The iLASIK application is a treatment method effectively combining the latest advancements in laser technology. The outcomes of the iLASIK treatment are maximal at eye-level. iLASIK is the latest laser technology available today and it the perfect combination of the INTRALASE method with the customised treatment (Advanced CustomVue).
iLASIK is entirely dedicated to you. Everything is done to improve the quality of your vision.
Advantages of the iLASIK method (INTRALASE bladeless laser)
- The success of the iLASIK surgery is due to the creation of the corneal flap through the INTRALASE method (bladeless laser);
- The flap thickness and diameter are determined with computerised technology;
- The procedure is painless because lower pressure is applied on the cornea;
- People with a thinner cornea can undergo surgery through the iLASIK method because it allows the creation of a much thinner flap than by using the microkeratome;
- This type of surgery is less risky for the people with highly sensitive eyes;
- This type of surgery is less risky for the people with a high degree of dry eyes;
- The risk of developing allergies is lower after the surgery is performed;
- The risk concerning the flap sliding and cutting is much lower thanks to the immediate recovery of the flap edges;
- The recovery period for the patient is a lot shorter thanks to the immediate joining of the flap;
- The surgery using blade is more difficult to perform because the eyelid opening angle is small. Therefore, the people who can undergo this type of surgery are the ones having a flattened cornea or a high degree of astigmatism.
The most important innovation in the past 50 years as concerns the creation of the flap is the bladeless laser, the INTRALASE laser. This process is highly accurate and provides the opportunity for a tailor-made treatment, being much more effective than any kind of surgery using the microkeratome.
The iLASIK method implies using the laser from the beginning to the end of the intervention. Thanks to the INTRALASE method, all the complications related to creating the flap using the microkeratome are avoided. It uses only disposable instruments thus reducing the risk of infection to the minimum.
Laser treatment methods
In the WEST EYE HOSPITAL the eye is examined both from the functional and anatomical point of view, using state-of-the-art investigative methods, such as: corneal topography, intraocular pressure measurement, retina scan, systemic disease assessment and follow-up. Following these investigations, the experienced medical staff then determines the laser treatment method most suited for each patient.
The laser intervention can offer you a more comfortable life due to our using last-generation technology and experienced medical staff. The modern technology and the medical staff are available to you to recommend you the most appropriate course of treatment.
The INTRALASE treatment results
Studies show that one year after the treatment:
- More than 95% of the patients with myopia having taken part in the study could pass the driver’s licence test without wearing contact lenses or glasses;
- 98% of the patients having undergone surgery through this method had a better vision quality without glasses or contact lenses;
- Following the treatment, the patients with myopia could see up to four times better than before the treatment.
The Laser treatment is your choice for a healthier lifestyle
Did you know that even the artists you look so much up to had ophthalmological conditions at some point in time? Through laser surgery, some of them got rid of these problems, and others chose to also improve their facial aesthetics.
The bladeless laser technology gives you top-quality vision
The success rate is very high in the persons having undergone surgery with the INTRALASE technology in the hospitals worldwide.
At the same time, the patients having undergone surgery involving the blade experienced complications as a result of the interventions, night-vision problems, but also the impossibility to reduce the dioptres to the maximum.
The iLASIK method using INTRALASE is performed using the laser, thus removing all the complications occurring related to the surgeries using the blade.